HuperzineA:A herbal substance that has multifaceted effects on human brain
Use of Huperzine A was known to the Chinese since history unknown. In traditional Chinese medicines, application of a moss called HuperziaSerrata or Chinese club was known to the medical practitioners, who used the leaves of the moss to sharpen memory of elderly patients and also as an anti-inflammatory substance. Today, extract of Chinese club moss is modified in the laboratory to from a substance known as Huperzine A. Though several researches are on the way, Huperzine A is found to be immensely beneficial in controlling memory loss, increasing learning ability and many other neural diseases relating to central nervous system.
Uses of Huperzine A
In the recent past, several animal studies have proven beyond doubt that Huperzine A is an excellent acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, which inhibits the acetylcholinesterase enzyme from breaking down acetylcholine. The later chemical is used by the brain as a neurotransmitter that enhances memory, concentration and learning ability, etc. Controlled use of acetylcholine not only increases the concentration of this chemical in the brain, but also improved efficiency of the neurotransmitter. With age, acetylcholine decreases in the brain, in such situation application of Huperzine A refurbishes related issues.
This useful herbal supplement is actually used in combination with other chemical substances to form drugs for various neural diseases and also as a therapeutic supplement.
These days, Huperzine A is extracted efficiently in sophisticated plant set-up all around the world. Therefore, its availability and uses have multiplied several times over the past few years.
Benefits of Huperzine A
Though very limited information and data are available on this herbal product, several animal studies and data available regarding its applications on human have evidenced that the benefits of Huperzine A can’t be ignored. Here’s a look at some significant research findings –
- It appears to provide some benefits to people with Alzheimer’s disease. It is found through several researches that long-term use of HuperzineA, enhances learning ability, and cognitive functions in Alzheimer’s patients. It is also found to enhance functional ability in patients with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementias.
- Some studies have also shown that this herbal supplement can be used to enhance memory of school children as also adults including elderly people. Experts suggest using oral Hyperzine A for 8-12 weeks depending on the age to improve memory in children and adults
Apart from enhancing cognitive and functional abilities, Huperzine A could also be used in the following reasons –
- Myasthenia Gravis – It is a rare type of neuromuscular disease leading to fluctuating fatigue and weakness of muscles. In this disease application of Huperzine A injection intramuscularly seems to improve the symptoms steadily.
- In age related memory loss Huperzine A is very effective.
- Many individuals have been reported to improve their alertness after trying Huperzine A.
- It is also a good energy booster for people above 40s.
Dosages of Huperzine A
There is no fixed dosage of Huperzine A. Depending upon the illness, age, sex and lifestyle dosages change. Moreover, it is used both in oral as also injectable forms.
Being an herbal product, it has no apparent side-effects. Nowadays, many people use Huperzine A for therapeutic purposes to improve their memory and working capacity. It is indeed a beneficial multi-purpose substance. More studies are needed to obtain many other hidden benefits of this herbal supplement.